Wednesday 5 May 2021

Preface

The Journal of Divers Arts

They say we stand on the shoulders of giants and those of who would seek the recreate the past definitely do. We could not do without the hard work and time devoted by those who came before us both in our chosen hobby but also those in the past who chose to record for posterity the knowledge of their crafts and the various arts that make us who we are.

This journal is inspired by the works of a person known to history as Theophilus Presbyter whose great work On Divers Arts, published in the late 11th Century has certainly inspired me in my recreations of many of the facets of historical crafts. Its perhaps lofty intent is to serve as a repository of  knowledge and wisdom of those who practise divers arts attributable to the pre-seventeenth century and provide a home for those articles which might get lost and have no other home and I solicit you all to submit your knowledgeable works so that they might provide education and sources of inspiration for all.

I will publish articles as they come to me, I am not a professional historian, academic or writer but I am happy to provide guidance and help if you need it to get your article to the stage that you are happy to publish it. The only criteria I have for articles here is that they related to an Art or Science that was practised prior to the start of the seventeen century but I will pledge to try and keep the quality to a good standard but make no claims to knowing anything. I may also publish my own articles here from time to time but the more you send in the less I will need to engage in that practise so get submitting, I welcome wading through as many diverse articles as you can send me.

Whilst this journal is inspired by my involvement in the SCA and other re-enactment groups over the years it is not an official publication or website of any particular group or society,

John Sawyer

About the editor. John Sawyer is a professional engineer based in the South West of England who in his spare time has been a member of the Society of Creative Anachronism since 1990 and involved in other re-enactment activities since he re-emigrated back to the UK in 2002. He is also know as Thomas Flamanc of Kelsale to those in the SCA where is he a Member of the Order of the Laurel and as that Australian bloke in a number of other re-enactment groups with whom he has contact over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment